A few Tuesday memes, #7February 17, 2015
Is anyone else in the northern hemisphere battling off some winter doldrums right about now?
New England has been getting slammed with snow and below-freezing temperatures since the start of February. Although my little slice of Connecticut hasn't gotten the worst of it (*waves to Amanda*), I'm still having serious trouble dragging myself out of bed in the morning and feeling energized once I do. See: this GIF. A minor cold last week wasn't helping matters, and I spent the better part of Wednesday dozing in a blanket cocoon on my couch. Thankfully, my mood is a lot sunnier than the weather has been, and I'm hoping I can keep it that way.
On that note, how about some meme fun? Only one this week, so this should more appropriately be titled, "A single Tuesday meme, #1."
1. Checking out more library books than I can read. You know how some people are impulse buyers? I'm an impulse checker-outer. I've been known to go to the library and grab five books only to return the next day for four more. Can I really read nine books in three week's time? Nope. This has only gotten worse since I got my Kindle and discovered Overdrive.
2. Reading too quickly. I've always had a problem with wanting to speed through my books, which has only been exacerbated by my Kindle. Amanda (who's rather popular on my blog today) wrote recently about how reading a book quickly is a surefire way for her to not remember it very well. Samesies.
3. Reading too slowly. In contrast, I can sometimes linger over sentences or passages for way too long, resulting in me losing the thread of what I'm reading. Sometimes it's better to just power through the denser sections.
4. Not doing enough besides reading. This isn't always a problem, because, seriously, what beats curling up with a book? Still, I have a lot of other interests—cooking, baking, exercising, seeing friends, and exploring my community—and there are times when I know I'd be better served by getting off my couch and going outside (or, at least, doing something not involving the couch). And, hey, if I get outside, I can always try to find a new bookstore. ;)
5. Destroying my (and other people's) books. I'm the girl who dropped multiple books in the tub (and, occasionally, the toilet) growing up. While I've since learned not to tempt fate in the bathroom, I'm still awful at taking care of my books (broken spines and bent corners galore), and I feel extremely self-conscious whenever someone lends me one to read. I have actually forewarned some people that they shouldn't trust me with their books.
6. Getting too caught up in heavier reads. Those of you who've been reading for a while know I'm a fan of heavy, serious books, and it can take a lot for me to set those aside and go for something lighter. This is one reading habit I really want to change.
7. Not knowing when to quit a bad book. Um, yeah. Yet another thing I don't know how to do, and one that's made for quite a few wasted hours.
8. How to balance ARCs with backlist books. Joining NetGalley and, as of yesterday, Edelweiss (thanks, Julianne!) has me all aflutter over upcoming titles. It can be tough to balance the urge to request all the things with my already-gargantuan TBR pile of older books.
9. Getting more and more behind in my blog feed. The bloggers I follow post so much wonderful content so frequently, and I hate that I can't keep up! Add this to the ever-growing list of Things Shaina Worries About RE: Blogging, along with posting enough, reviewing enough, replying to comments, etc.
10. Not knowing what to read next. This can be a pain, but it also points to something wonderful: the abundance of fantastic books out there waiting to be read!
What are your bookish problems? Link me up!